Thursday, August 21, 2008

Avoid the Wet Head

I got only one fewer comment on my second post than my first. I guess the excitement is leveling off.

With the concern over "Hurricane" Fay fading and the excitement over TS Fay building, I thought I would comment on the multi-purpose helmet cover.
I bought my first one when I was heading into cold weather riding a couple of years ago. It was a good purchase and it made a world of difference in my body comfort level. Because it covers the vent holes in the helmet, it not only keeps the cold air from massaging this old bald head, but it keeps the body heat from escaping as quickly and most of your body heat escapes through the top of your head.
The helmet cover is like the cheap shower caps that are found in motels. It's a piece of fabric that has elastic around the edges that hold it on the helmet when it's stretched over the top. Because it stretches and takes the shape of the helmet it has a cool look to it, providing your helmet has a cool shape. Maybe it's not cool like Hanna Montana, but it's better than riding around with one of those motel shower caps on you helmet. It does work like a shower cap, however, so it keeps the rain from running into your eyes. For $15 or $20 you get something to keep you warmer in the cooler weather, then when it rains, it keeps the rain from running down into your face.
I learned to keep the sweat from running into my eyes during my first summer of hot weather riding by wearing a Headsweat. That made riding in the heat a lot more tolerable, like maybe 10 or 15 degrees cooler. I don't like riding in the rain but when I have to the helmet cover makes the unplanned event a lot easier to put up with. With the trunk rack and bag keeping the muddy stripe off my back and the helmet cover keeping the rain out of my face I just have to keep the front wheel straight so the water hits the down tube and not my cool yellow shirt.
It would be nice if the company would spring for the attachable mud guard that fits on the down tube but I can understand how it is necessary to not buy frivolous things. The people in charge of deciding what to purchase have bonuses to consider.

I have a lot to say about riding in the heat. I should get it posted by the time cool weather rolls around.

No comments: